Church Stretton Leisure Centre Update-February 2020
This update has been sent to Town and Parish Council in and around Church Stretton and Bishops Castle as well as some community groups.
What are Shropshire Council doing
The Council’s aims, county-wide, are to:
- Embed leisure centres into local communities
- Engage with local communities to deliver a service that meets the needs of residents
- Rebrand Leisure Services to include a new logo and website
- Reduce its carbon footprint.
- We have appointed a Leisure Facilities Team Leader to support the running of Shropshire Council’s five Joint Use Centres
- The process of transferring SpArC and Church Stretton Staff to Shropshire Council has started. This will include an extensive staff training programme.
- Generated nearly £37,000 in 2019, through a combination of local activities, town, council and private donations, gift aid and grant funding.
- Is making plans to replace all the gym equipment with modern, multipurpose kit appropriate to a range of abilities. This will involve substantial expenditure, once we have an agreed basis for it and the necessary structural work has been done.
- Has decided that the signs to Save our SpArC have served their purpose. If you see any, it would really help if you could take them down.
- The new Spring Programme is now available, with a great selection of films, music, theatre and opera, at sparctheatre.co.uk
- The theatre will remain open whilst the transfer takes place.
- Stretton Pool Action continuing to support the transfer of the whole centre through close liaison with Council officers and centre staff and on-going fund raising.
- Discussions with Church Stretton Town Council and Church Stretton Schools regarding future support, management arrangements and programming
- Extensive repairs to the pool hall roof are progressing
Leisure Services - Project Officer
Armed Forces Covenant Lead
01743 255933 | 07990 085557
Shirehall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, SY2 6ND